Friday, May 24, 2013

My Husband’s Trip to the Grocery Store: Contradictions


One of my favorite topics to write about is how we, meaning parents, teachers, coaches, camp counselors etc., contradict ourselves and send mixed messages to kids all the time regarding health and making healthy choices.


Here is a story about my husband’s very recent trip to the grocery store:

He was at Safeway getting ready for our camping trip. He is behind a woman in the 15 items or less line, annoyed because she has more than 15 items.

Now he starts observing the contents of her cart and I quote: “I have never seen so much %$*# in one person’s cart. There were chips and sodas and every kind of candy you could think of”.

As the woman was paying for her cart full of junk food, the Safeway employee said to her “Wow, you have lost a lot of weight, haven’t  you.”
The woman replied, “I have lost over 100 pounds. These are snacks for my kids. We are going on a long car ride.”

Need I say more?

No comments:

Post a Comment